There are numerous ways of getting your operating system faster, to optimize it when you boot it. Windows 8 introduce a new powerful feature that allows you to boot your computer in just a few seconds. The way it work, is when you shutdown Windows, it put itself in partial hibernate called : hybrid shutdown.
When you activate this feature, you will also notice another advantage : hiberfil.sys file is way smaller. Boot time will earn you from 25% to 75% from boot time, which is significant!
How to make Windows 8 Fast Boot ?
1. Open Control Panel.
2. Select ‘Power Options’
3. Click on ‘Choose what the power button does’ on left pane.
4. Click on ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’
5. You will see new feature appear on the bottom of the page. This is where we set fast boot.
6. Make sure you check all of the following options :
— Turn on fast startup (recommended)
7. Reboot your computer.
Another way to configure Windows 8 Fast Boot (by command line)
1. Open elevated privileges command prompt.
2. Type in the following two commands :
powercfg -h on
reg add ‘HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power’ /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F
Advantages of running it by command prompt is that you can automate this process with a batch file on many computers or in a simple logon script. You could also run it remotely using PSExec from SysInternals.