Master boot record fix for Windows 7 and Windows 8
On previous Windows version it was frequent to see it fail to boot due to a master boot record failure (MBR). On earliest versions, such as Windows 7 and Windows 8, it is also possible but less frequent. You can recover from such problems in just a few minutes if you know what to do and how to do it. Here’s a guide on how to restore MBR from Windows 7 which also work for Windows 8 and 8.1.
What you need ?
– Windows Vista, 7 or 8 boot disc.
How to restore MBR from Windows 7
1. Boot your computer from Windows 7 boot disc (don’t forget to press a key when it ask you for it)
2. On windows installation screen, keep default options and click ‘next’.
3. On the next screen, do NOT click on ‘install now’. Instead, you must click on ‘Repair your computer’ on the bottom.
4. Windows will detect current installation on hard drive and will prompt you to select it to use with recovery tools. Click ‘next’.
5. On the next screen you have choice to select many options. Select ‘Command Prompt’.
6. In command prompt, you need to find what letter has your DVD/CD drive. We will use the following commands to do so :
– select disk 0
– list volume
You will need to notice drive letter under column ‘LTR‘ next to DVD-ROM. In my case drive letter is E
7. Next step is to browse to ‘boot’ directory of boot disk. To do so input the following commands (replace drive letter with accurate one) :
– cd boot
– dir bootsect.exe (we make sure bootsect.exe is present on disk, if not use another boot disk)
8. Now we can fix master boot record (MBR) using bootsect executable file. Input the following command :
– bootsect.exe /nt60 SYS /mbr
9. Master boot record is now fixed, you can reboot your computer.
Alternative or more way to fix MBR
1. In command prompt at step #8, input the following command :
2. You can fix master boot record and boot sector by applying the following parameters to the bootrec command : /fixmbr and /fixboot
– bootrec.exe /fixmbr
– bootrec.exe /fixboot
3. You can then reboot your computer and MBR will be recovered.
Congratulation, you have now know how to restore MBR from Windows 7 and Windows 8.