Microsoft Outlook has been around for quite some time now and we can say that it is the most used mail software around. Microsoft’s latest mail product is Outlook 2013 which comes either in cloud or desktop version. Today we will learn how to configure @gmail.com email address within Outlook 2013 desktop version. Simply follow these simples step-by-step and you will be able to read your emails on your desktop without an internet browser.
How to configure gmail with Outlook 2013
Activating IMAP settings within gmail.com
1. Log in to your gmail account at http://www.gmail.com
2. Click on ‘gear’ icon on top right corner and select ‘settings’.
3. Select ‘Forwarding and POP/IMAP’ tab from the top menu.
4. Select ‘Enable IMAP’ and ‘Auto-Expunge ON’ and then click ‘Save changes’.
5. You are now done setting on gmail side. Now open Outlook 2013 and set your account from there.
6. Follow next simple steps to configure your account.
7. IMPORTANT : Select ‘manual setup or additional server types’. This option will allow you to configure gmail type addresses.
8. On the next screen, select ‘POP or IMAP’ as type and click ‘next’.
9. Next step is important. Please input carefully server information :
Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
Account Type : IMAP
Incoming mail server : imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server : smtp.gmail.com
User Name : (same as email address) email@example.com
Password : Your_own_password (the one you type on gmail.com website)
After that, do not click ‘next’ yet. You have to configure additional settings see next step.
10. Click on ‘more settings’.
11. Select ‘Outgoing server’ tab and check ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication’. Make sure that radio box ‘Use the same settings as my incoming mail server’ is also selected.
12. Select ‘Advanced’ tab.
13. Configure the following options :
Incoming server (IMAP) : 993
Use the following type of encrypted connection : SSL
Outgoing server (SMTP) : 587
Use the following type of encrypted connection : TLS
14. Click ‘Ok’ and then ‘Next’ on screen. Outlook will now test your settings and verify them, it should connect successfully to gmail.com servers.
15. Gmail.com account is now configured with Outlook 2013.
With this guide you can now read your email from Outlook 2013 client.