The iPhone is one of the best smartphones in the world and a large number of people use it on a day to day basis. Unfortunately, Apple is quite restrictive when it comes to the carriers which can be used with the phone or the applications that can be installed on it, and that’s why sometimes we need to jailbreak our device. Jailbreaking also brings numerous other benefits such as adding custom notifications, ringtones and it even gives you the ability to use your phone as a Wi-Fi Hotspot.
Although some might think that jailbreaking is illegal, it’s actually perfectly safe to do, but in some cases you might lose warranty. This is why you need to treat it with extra care, yet if you want to use it with an unsupported carrier or access one of the features above, then doing this is well worth it.
This is one of the most popular tools you can use to jailbreak your device on the Windows platform. What makes it stand out is the fact that it’s very easy to use and you don’t have to read long tutorials in order to use it. The tool is compatible with all the latest iOS enabled devices that run iOS 7.0 or later.
Additionally, evasi0n7 is updated quite often in order to provide complete support for the latest iOS version and it solves quite a lot of critical bugs. In the end it brings a seamless and very simple jailbreaking experience that’s definitely helpful for all those users looking to get even more out of their device.
1. The application can be grabbed from http://evasi0n.com/ and with the help of the following steps you will have to problem jailbreaking your device.
2. Before starting the process you have to disable the passcode on your iOS device by accessing : Settings > General > Passcode Lock > then selecting Turn Passcode Off.
3. After this process is completed you have to open the application, then plug your device to the PC.
4. Wait until the device has been detected by the application and press the Jailbreak button.
5. At the end of the process you will have to tap the application icon on the device’s home screen.
As you can see, the whole jailbreak process is very easy to perform with evasi0n7 and it takes around 5 minutes or even less. If for some reason the device is not supported by the tool you will receive a notification immediately after you plug it in.
If you have a device that doesn’t support iOS 7 don’t worry, there are application built specifically to support older versions, and one of them is Absinthe. This helps you jailbreak iOS 5 without hassle.
Absinthe has a similar interface to evasi0n7 and it even works in a similar fashion.
1. Download and open the application http://absinthejailbreak.org/download-absinthe-5-1-1-untethered-jailbreak/
2. Connect your iOS device to your PC
3. Wait until the device is detected then press the Jailbreak button.
4. When the process is completed, unplug the device.
Absinthe works great with the older devices and it comes as a very small download. It’s the recommended option for those that want to jailbreak devices with iOS 5.
This app is definitely one of the best if you have multiple devices with different iOS versions installed on them. RedSn0w offers you a little more control when compared to the applications presented above, which is definitely a plus. From installing Cydia to adding custom logos and enabling homescreen wallpapers, all the options allow you to customize your iOS experience while also performing the jailbreak, something that is definitely a plus. RedSn0w works with iOS 6 as well as iOS 7.
1. Open the Application and then press the Jailbreak button.
2. Choose the additional options/changes you want to perform.
3. Connect your device and press the Next button.
4. Enter the device in DFU mode by holding both the Power and Home buttons down for 10 seconds.
5. Press Next and wait until the process is completed. You will have to enter the DFU mode again during the installation process, just follow the instructions on the screen when that happens.
Sn0wBreeze is an application that helps you jailbreak your iOS device as well as create a custom IPSW which includes your own images and features. This tool is a little older when compared to the ones presented above, so it won’t work with iOS 7 for example, but it does bring complete support for iOS 6 and earlier versions as well, which is definitely a plus.
1. Open the application, connect your device and press Next
2. Select the option to Browse for an IPSW file if you have one or download firmware if you need any. After downloading press Next.
3. Select the mode you want to use, press next and wait until the new IPSW is created.
4. Power off your device, then enter it in DFU mode. Press Next and wait until the process is completed.
Sn0wBreeze is very useful thanks to its IPSW customization feature and even though it’s not supporting the latest OS version it’s still a great tool to use by those with older devices.
This tool isn’t used to jailbreak, but instead it helps downgrading your device to an older version by backing SHSH blobs. The supported devices are iPhone 3GS and 4, iPad 1 and most generations of iPod Touch.
1. Open the app, connect the device and select the option to dump SHSH blobs
2. Read the list of supported devices and need-to-know info then click Proceed
3. Enter you device in DFU mode by pressing the Home and Power button at once for 10 seconds.
4. Keep the Home button pressed for 30 more seconds, the application will take it from there.
5. Choose where to save your SHSH blobs and that will complete the process.
As you can see, there are a lot of options when it comes to jailbreaking your device, you just have to select the application that fits your iOS version and which suits your technical knowledge. In the end, by following the instructions presented above you will have to problem jailbreaking your device no matter the app you are using. Some applications perform only a simple jailbreak, others allow you to customize your IPSW, so it’s up to you to select the one you like best.