Most of the people can’t afford to pay 100s for an Office suite as they don’t use it for work. Also, most of you don’t know that there are free alternatives to Microsoft Office suite available on the internet. Today we present you two of the best available and show you what they offer.
Two of best Microsoft Office Alternatives
- Apache OpenOffice
1. You can download OpenOffice freely available at the following URL : http://www.openoffice.org
2. Setup is pretty basic. Select all default options and click ‘next’ buttons.
3. Something you should configure though is file association. This will make documents, spreadsheets or any other of that kind open using OpenOffice.
4. When completely installed, OpenOffice will create an icon on desktop which allow you to launch different kind of applications such as alternatives to MS Word, MS Excel, MS Visio & more.
4.1. Following screenshot is an alternative to Microsoft Word : OpenOffice Writer
4.2. Following screenshot is an alternative to Microsoft Excel : OpenOffice Spreadsheet
4.3 Following screenshot is an alternative to Microsoft Visio : OpenOffice Draw
4.4 Following screenshot is an alternative to Microsoft Powerpoint : OpenOffice Impress
5. Global view from Start Menu items (I haven’t shown all applications from the suite) :
6. OpenOffice also offer you to save your file as most compatible formats to make sure everyone can read your files. Here’s an example of OpenOffice Writer’s file types.
1. You can also download LibreOffice for free at the following URL : http://libreoffice.org
2. Setup is just like OpenOffice, you can select default options here.
3. There is also a file association screen which you need to configure according to your preferences.
4. Just like OpenOffice, LibreOffice offer same type of startup screen showing available applications of office suite.
4.1 LibreOffice Writer is an alternative to Microsoft Word
4.2 LibreOffice Draw is an alternative to Microsoft Visio
4.3 LibreOffice Calc is an alternative to Microsoft Excel
4.4 LibreOffice Impress is an alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint
5. LibreOffice also offer you to save your document as most known file types.
Personally I prefer Apache OpenOffice for its look, but I can assure you that both software offer same features and stability.